Course 4 Wilton Cake decorating – 1st and 2nd day Update

I really enjoyed taking this course the most out of the 4 Wilton Cake decorating classes. It was about Advanced Gum Paste Flowers where I learned how to create delicate and lifelike flowers.

stargazergumpaste

Michaels in Lakewood NY offered it last month and they are offering it again this month for those who live near the area and wants to take this class.

ivyleaves

On the first Wednesday class, I learned how to wrap a florist wire with a florist tape. It’s important to do this as the wire is made of steel and non-edible. I forgot to take a picture of the gum paste Gerbera daisy that I made using the daisy cutters that were included in the student kit. BTW, if you want to take the class, you have to buy the student kit and the guide/manual too! You will also need Gum paste. I bought the pre-made Gum paste by Wilton. We also wire the tiny blossom flowers which are also gumpaste and cut using the small blossom cutters, and the sweet pea centers on the first Wednesday. I will post the pictures of the sweet pea blossoms on my next posts.

On the second Wednesday class, I learned how to wire gum paste ivy leaves. There was an ivy leaf cutter and to add veining, you have to use the leaf impression mat. I added pearl dust on mine to make the leaves look wet or realistic.

tinyblossomgumpaste

This is the small blossom that I made. I only made this one and only blossom, out of the 4 days I took the class. It’s really cute especially when you add a pearl stamen inside or at the center of the blossom. I only made one because it’s very tiny (smaller than my thumb nail) and you will use one wire per blossom.

briarrose

Also, on the second Wednesday class, I learned how to make the leaves and petals for the Star Gazer lily (in the first picture above) and this Briar roses. It took 2 weeks for the briar rose and the lily leaves/petals to really get hard candy. I didn’t learn how to assemble the leaves and add final touches on the briar rose until the fourth Wednesday of the class.

Stay tuned! I will post more pictures of the 3rd and 4th day updates in this course in my next posts (I got to arrange all flowers in a spray or bouquet). Winks!

33 Responses to Course 4 Wilton Cake decorating – 1st and 2nd day Update

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I wonder if my Michael’s is offering some of these classes? I am going to have to check because I would love to sign up for one!

2. Those are absolutely gorgeous! I can’t imagine learning how to make those myself – they look professional!

3. Emerald says:

You did an amazing job! I tried to take the class but I was horrible. You’re a natural.

4. censie says:

Wow! These are beautiful. What a fun project!

5. I would love to learn how to decorate cakes. It seems so awesome and a fun skill to have.

6. connie says:

Beautiful! I want to learn how to make this.

7. Lady Lilith says:

Oh wow. That is such talent. The details on the flowers are stunning. Just amazing.

8. stephaniet says:

I absolutely love how the briar roses turned out, completely gorgeous. This makes me want to take a class in my town. I’ve always been interested in cake decorating. Great post keep the pictures coming!

9. Alyssa Waters says:

So beautiful, they look so real. I’m not sure even with a class I could get mine to look like that.

10. I can’t believe all of these are edible. They are really beautiful and a lovely addition to any dessert.

11. Lori says:

Wow! I’ve always seen these courses advertised, but I had no idea that they taught stuff like this! The work you posted is absolutely stunning. The first picture doesn’t look edible, which is incredible! I can’t wait to see more post from you about decorating. Keep up the good work!

12. Nikki says:

Oh wow, those look just like real flowers! I thought the first picture was real flowers for sure, like a model or something. Gorgeous work!

Cake decorating class sounds like a fun and creative way to enjoy time.

14. Oh my word!! I thought they were actually flowers!! To pretty to eat 🙂 AWESOME job!!

15. Ann Bacciaglia says:

This would be a great skill to learn. You are doing a great job. I would love to take these classes.

16. Rosey says:

You did a great job with your flower. I think it sounds like a fun (and informative) class to take.

17. Heather says:

Wow this is just amazing. I have been wanting to take one of these classes.

18. Ave says:

Wow! You have done a really great job! Love those Briar roses!

19. Ashley B. says:

You are insanely talented! I thought that Lily was real at first. Great work!

20. That first flower is definitely life-like. Very beautiful!

21. Danielle says:

These are simply amazing there is such a great attention to detail in these. I love them.

22. Goodness gracious! You are totally amazing! I know mine sure wouldn’t look like that LOL

23. Tess says:

Those look so great! I could never do it like that.

24. Amber NElson says:

That is a great talent to have. I don’t think I could do that.

25. I do not have the patience for these types of things, but my daughter loves them, has taken classes and would love to find a job doing this for a living.

26. April says:

These look amazing! I want to take this class!

27. Melissa Vera says:

I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes. But I don’t think I have the patience for it. Your decorations looks amazing.

28. amanda @attachedmoms says:

I wish I had done this while we lived in Phoenix. Looks like it was worth while for sure.

29. Ashley Gill says:

I took these classes a few years ago. I started making cakes but people but the stress of perfection got to me. I couldn’t handle it! Your flowers look great!

30. Amanda Love says:

OMG you did an amazing job on those flowers. I did a few classes with my toddler at Michaels this summer but I may have to do a few for myself now too.

31. Chrissy Mazzocchi says:

Wow! These are amazing! I’d love to learn how to do the flowers, so cute.

32. Your flowers look amazing and detailed. What a fun skill to learn.

33. You did a beautiful job! That class sounds like so much fun. I wonder I’d they have classes like this where I live. It would be cool to learn to do this. Your flowers look so real.

Comments are closed.